I am a technology leader with a proven track record of improving and transforming the software, quality, and operational excellence of software engineering teams.
With deep exposure to a wide spectrum of Internet technologies from the early days of the Web, my experience encompasses many generations of software, project, and product development practices, which informs time-tested approaches, philosophies and techniques.
The following core beliefs shape my perspective on Technology management:
- Trust Must Prevail Over Fear
- Learning Drives Improvement
- People Matter Most, Invest in Them
I expound on these core beliefs in greater detail in a blog post.
My background, expertise and foundational beliefs produce a leadership style that exemplifies the following characteristics:
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: How to make a big impact with limited resources.
- High-Standards: Data-informed rationale to justify investing in continuous improvement practices.
- High Engagement: Credibility through listening to your team, and serving their needs.
- Creativity: Inspirational leadership is fundamentally creative, and encourages learning.
- Inspiration: Vision and buy-in to initiatives to see it realized are table stakes.
- Tenacity: When excellence is a moral imperative, we keep iterating until we reach our goal.
I expound on my leadership style in more detail on my blog.
While my experience managing technology teams covers the breadth of enterprise software systems, I am particularly keen on the EdTech space, with 6 years of experience in the industry.
- Conceiving, designing, building, deploying and maintaining Internet and Web based software systems spanning over 25 years.
- Expertise in building scalable customer-facing infrastructure, software, network and database systems.
- Inspirational leadership style suitable to attract and retain highly technical software professionals, including remote/offshore management.
- Improving predictability and productivity of software teams to deliver on time-critical marketing and product initiatives.
- Defining and achieving ambitious strategic roadmaps that provide iterative progress towards organizational, team, or project goals.
- Every role in my career has involved software security, privacy, or authentication in some form:
- Authenticating, authorizing and billing users in a metered-service ISP
- Managing a multi-tenant hosting platform that preserved client confidentiality
- Managing payment and vault systems of a multi-million dollar subscription-based service processing millions of credit card authorizations per year
- Building resilient online games that are reasonably hack and/or cheat-proof
- Architecting and building systems that respect student and district privacy for EdTech publishers
|Director, Engineering||BitTitan||2021 - 2021|
|VP Technology||Committee for Children||2018 - 2020|
|Senior Director, Web Application Engineering||McGraw-Hill Education||2014 - 2018|
|VP Technology||Exponential Entertainment||2013 - 2014|
|VP Technology||Salad Labs||2011 - 2012|
|Software Engineering Director||Classmates.com/United Online||2002 - 2011|
|CTO||Media Access Internet Solutions||1997 - 2001|
|Network Director||Pacific Rim Network||1994 - 1999|
|Webmaster||Western Washington University (WWU)||1992 - 1994|
Legend: (approximate % of time spent by responsibility)
Roadmap planning, budget, product/market/technology vision
Strategic planning in software and systems design & integration
Motivation, communication, engagement, 1:1s, team-building
Agile/scrum or project process review, coaching, improvement & planning
Hands on coding, code-review, build, deployment, or release work
Concept, design, implementation or maintenance of systems and environments